How Tara Mohr Shifted from a Blogger without a Business to a 6-Figure Mediapreneur
NOTE: RISE nation! New programming schedule for those with eagle eyes. New episodes of The Rise To The Top are moving from every Wednesday to every Thursday. Why? Because we want to give you an extra awesome day between DSG TV (Monday) and The Rise To The Top episodes, and not flood ya.
Alrighty, let’s get at it folks.
When it comes to creating online content, products, etc there seems to be basically two camps of people (we, as mediapreneurs, are the happy third camp).
- Camp #1: Folks that create content. Maybe a blog, web show, podcast or some combo. They are building a following, but don’t have any money because…they don’t have a business or a business model (gasp!). Often these folks are decent at creating content and even building a following/drawing attention, but haven’t figured out the whole monetization angle.
- Camp #2: The sketchy douche-a-saurus. Everything is a hard sell. The promise is always something like making money without working or losing weight without doing anything. The only time they email you is to promote a product. These folks, in many ways, give the term(s) “Internet Marketing” and “Internet Marketers” a bad name.
Then…there is our camp. The mediapreneur camp. Which is all about creating awesome content AND having a legit business (whatever it might be…products, services, software, coaching, books, events, etc.) and applying Internet marketing techniques in an ethical and awesome way. Nothing that makes you say EWWW.
Today’s guest, Tara Mohr, flirted with the first camp when she first started online. She started a blog…but with not much of a following or really a way to make money. Then, as we discuss in the interview today, something changed and she shifted.
And then she began to CRUSH it in the space of women’s leadership. And I do mean, crush. She has been featured on The Today Show, her 10 Rules For Brilliant Women went uber viral, AND (on the biz side) she is the founder of the global PLAYING BIG leadership program for women, a six-month virtual women’s leadership and professional development program that blends psychology/personal growth.
Find out all the deets in today’s interview.
I use RISE partner Wistia for video hosting because they rock. Check ‘em out.
Audio Only Player:
Become a RISE VIP for Free. Enter Your Email Below and Receive:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for badass mediapreneurs like you.
- Extra commentary on The Rise To The Top episodes, tips and more to help you have success.
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST (including episodes and DSG TV)
Share This Episode:
Make Sure to Check Out…
Tara’s site – Tara followed up with the 10 Rules for Brilliant Women Workbook to provide active ways for women to apply the 10 Rules to their daily lives and start living their brilliance more fully; the FREE, downloadable workbook includes the 10 Rules as well as reflective questions and assignments to consider for each of the 10 Rules.
Playing Big – For women who want to go further in the work of owning and sharing their brilliance, Tara created the Playing Big leadership training program, a six-month virtual program that blends personal growth/psychology with practical skills training to help women worldwide play bigger in their work and lives. Women in the social sector, business and the arts participate from Dublin to Dubai and from across the US. Click here for more information on the next session of Playing Big (begins in April).
This Episode Of The Rise To The Top Is Exclusively Sponsored By GoToMeeting:
Between now and March 18th, to enter the giveaway simply TWEET your answer to this question with some special instructions:
So, it’s freakin’ winter and it sucks. If you could host a meeting ANYWHERE using GoToMeeting, where would it be AND WHY?
Make SURE to use the #RISEfreeipad and #gotomeeting hashtags. You can do it AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT!
STRTTTL Home Ad_011213
T5 Banner ad square_022013
GoToMeeting is the simple way to collaborate online – and now it includes HDFaces™ high-definition video conferencing. Click here to try GoToMeeting free. Enter the promo code “RISE” for 45 days free on me (yay!).
Access your Mac or PC from anywhere – even with your iPad®. Click here to try GoToMyPC free. Enter the promo code “RISE” and you will get 45 days on me (double yay!).