Steven Pressfield On Doing The Work & Overcoming The Struggles Of A Professional Writer
Audio Only Player
About Today’s Guest, Steven Pressfield:
17 years. That is how long it took Steven Pressfield to cash his first check as a result of his writing. Fast forward. Steven is now an international best-selling author of amazing books such as Gates Of Fire, The War Of Art and The Legend Of Bagger Vance. I was lucky enough to track down Steven today to talk about the journey and how he overcame resistance.
Now Steven is launching a new book, Do The Work, through Seth Godin’s The Domino Project. It is a book about overcoming resistance and doing the work (and it is GREAT). Ishita from The Domino Project asked me for a couple of thoughts of my own on overcoming resistance (you can find them at the beginning of the episode). To summarize, I believe there are two kinds of resistance:
- Worthless Resistance: This is when you don’t want to fight the resistance because you aren’t passionate about the work or the outcome. How do I deal with it? I quit. I do something worthwhile and worth fighting for.
- Worthwhile Resistance: This is when you are nervous, scared or worried while working on something you DO feel passionate about. How do I deal with it? I do the work every day. Why? Because fighting is worth it.
Enjoy this conversation with Steven.
Connect With Steven (and tell him you saw him on RISE!):
This Episode Of The Rise To The Top Is Exclusively Sponsored By HubSpot:
Today’s Rise to the Top episode is sponsored by HubSpot, whose newest eBook, “The Facebook Marketing Update – Spring 2011″, provides insights and details on how to market on Facebook (which is super important) by using the Open Graph, contests, Places, Deals, Connect and more. Get your free copy today of the Facebook Marketing Update at bit.ly/facebookspring2011.
Subscribe To RISE:
You can join the 100,000+ RISE enthusiasts and catch new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday morning, featuring conversations with unique guests on TheRiseToTheTop.com, as well as iTunes (video and audio) and now on your television via Roku and Connected TV.
Become a RISE VIP for Free. Enter Your Email Below and Receive:
- Surprises and VIP-only content for badass mediapreneurs like you.
- Extra commentary on The Rise To The Top episodes, tips and more to help you have success.
- Find out about all kinds of cool stuff FIRST (including episodes and DSG TV)
Have You Seen These Episodes?
- RISE #181: The Entrepreneurial Extreme Athlete: An Interview With The Michael Jordan Of Motocross, Brian Deegan
- RISE #180: Wine, Web & Innovation: An Interview With Gary Vaynerchuk
- RISE #179: Behind-The-Scenes Of Mixergy: The Secrets Of Andrew Warner’s Massively Successful Web Show
- RISE #178: The Innovative Cartoonist: How Scott Kurtz Turned A Passion For Drawing Into A Booming Business
- RISE #177: Inside The Big Brain and Business Of Chris Brogan
Random Reminders & News:
Show the world you are fluff-free with an official fluff-free t-shirt!
Have you nabbed a copy of my book Smarter, Faster, Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-Free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business? You can grab the first chapter for free right here, and you can buy it on Amazon or anywhere books are sold.
STRTTTL Home Ad_011213
T5 Banner ad square_022013
GoToMeeting is the simple way to collaborate online – and now it includes HDFaces™ high-definition video conferencing. Click here to try GoToMeeting free. Enter the promo code “RISE” for 45 days free on me (yay!).
Access your Mac or PC from anywhere – even with your iPad®. Click here to try GoToMyPC free. Enter the promo code “RISE” and you will get 45 days on me (double yay!).