A Book As A Marketing Weapon For Entrepreneurs With Jason Cohen
PS: Enjoy my confusion when we cut out
The Power Of A Book For Entrepreneurs
To say Jason Cohen is a smart guy would be an understatement.
1. He is a big time entrepreneur and founder of Smart Bear Software (which he sold for major cash money)
2. His blog A Smart Bear is one of the best in the world on as what he calls “startups + marketing + geekery.”
4. He wrote a very (VERY) niche book called Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review which to date has been read by over 50,000 people.
..and I have a feeling you will see a lot more of him on The Rise To The Top and you can also find him on Twitter.
A Book As A Marketing Weapon
In this interview, Jason discusses how he used a book to differentiate in his industry. There is a misconception that books are only for certain audiences and certain subjects. Jason knocks those all down.
1. Interestingly, Jason used all kinds of traditional methods of getting the word out (mailers, newsletters, trade journal advertising, etc.). But hey, it worked!
2. Jason found unique ways to measure the advertising (through special forms on his website) and was able to hustle good deals from dying mediums (play up your smallness).
3. He literally gave the book away and it became their biggest marketing play.
4. All leads and web traffic are NOT creating equal. Experimenting and measuring (the right things) were the keys to getting the word out.
Building Blog Traffic:
Of course Jason is also a prolific blogger and here are a few of his tips:
1. Jason focuses 100% on creating good content.
2. Luck is necessary: Big bloggers picking up your content if it is good enough or agreeing to guest post.
3. Details of his blogging success can be found here.
4. Success can also be measured in comments, but Jason prefers to study who retweets him on Twitter (comments are good to).
Entrepreneur & Marketing Resources Mentioned:
Other Inbox (organizes your Inbox and more)
ITWatchdogs (one of Jason’s start ups)
Answers.Onstartups.com (Q & A forum)
Toodledo (Great personal organization tool)
And Always A Big Thanks To Our Local Presenting Sponsor Making RISE Possible: Johnny Londoff Chevrolet
Just for being a RISE viewer, you get haggle-free, supplier pricing whether you are from St. Louis or anywhere else at Johnny Londoff Chevrolet. A great guy really getting into online marketing and relationship building. Plus, make sure to check out my interview with Johnny (who is quite the character) and has some great advice for building your business.
STRTTTL Home Ad_011213
T5 Banner ad square_022013
GoToMeeting is the simple way to collaborate online – and now it includes HDFaces™ high-definition video conferencing. Click here to try GoToMeeting free. Enter the promo code “RISE” for 45 days free on me (yay!).
Access your Mac or PC from anywhere – even with your iPad®. Click here to try GoToMyPC free. Enter the promo code “RISE” and you will get 45 days on me (double yay!).