The Keys To Improving Your Online Reputation
Note: Today’s RISE episode is from Great Day St. Louis onCBS KMOV4. I’m on there once a month as their tech expert discussing hot topics in technology that you don’t need a nerd degree to understand. The article below is expands on a lot of the ideas touched on.
Your Online Reputation IS MARKETING:
In the 10 Big Marketing Predictions For 2010, I touched a bit on reputation marketing. Why? Because it matters. It used to be someone with a big mouth could tell…
…10 people about you?
…100 people about you?
Now, an individual can tell thousands of people via social media, blogs and more.
Search Engines Have The Biggest Mouths Of All
Think about someone telling all of your dirty online secrets (hopefully you don’t have any) to ANYONE that asks. Now that is something to think about especially since search engines spill the beans on pretty much everything you have been doing online.
Search Matters For Three Things In Business:
1. What happens when someone types in your company’s name?
2. What happens when someone types in YOUR name? (Or for that matter if you have a business partner or employees, their names as well).
3. What happens when someone types in a key phrase that is fit for your business (i.e if make iPhone apps what happens when someone types in “I need an iphone app made.”)
Interestingly, #3 gets all the attention and focus of that key buzzword in 2010 Search Engine Optimization. From my experience though, #1 and #2 are just as important.
Sure, attracting new customers that don’t know about you yet is vitally important (which is #3), but your online reputation encompasses #1, #2 and #3. No, this isn’t high school or Cruel Intentions, unless your high school was a few billion people.
Ways To Improve Your Online Reputation:
1. Get busy creating content: Everywhere. On your website. On Twitter, Facebook & LinkedIn. Every piece of content including photos (and video more and more) is crawled by search engines).
2. Alert Yourself: Set up a Google Alert for your business, your name, other key people’s names, your competitors and any key phrases (I add my Google Alerts to Google Reader so I can check them out at my leisure as opposed to getting an email anytime my Alerts are mentioned). And setting up an alert is one thing, RESPONDING is the key. If you see something (good or bad), see if you can jump in and comment on the blog or source. Become a part of the conversation.
3. Google isn’t the only answer: Check out the social search engine Ice Rocket. Great design and specializes on searching many different corners of the Internet that Google often misses.
4. Be nice: I know this seems a little ridiculous but it is so true. Negative people online are annoying, I get it. But kill with kindness. Confrontational and sensitive are two qualities that often lose online. If you are nice to people, people will be nice to you. Awww….warm fuzzy moment.
5. Control What You Can Control: Educate yourself on the basics of online reputation and search engine optimization. Trust me, it is isn’t that hard to understand (I’m NOT a techie, I’m a person who enjoys using technology and I was taught it quite easily). Setup a Google Profile for a bit more control.
And Always A Big Thanks To Our Local Presenting Sponsor Making RISE Possible: Johnny Londoff Chevrolet
Just for being a RISE viewer, you get haggle-free, supplier pricing whether you are from St. Louis or anywhere else at Johnny Londoff Chevrolet. A great guy really getting into online marketing and relationship building. Plus, make sure to check out my interview with Johnny (who is quite the character) and has some great advice for building your business.
STRTTTL Home Ad_011213
T5 Banner ad square_022013
GoToMeeting is the simple way to collaborate online – and now it includes HDFaces™ high-definition video conferencing. Click here to try GoToMeeting free. Enter the promo code “RISE” for 45 days free on me (yay!).
Access your Mac or PC from anywhere – even with your iPad®. Click here to try GoToMyPC free. Enter the promo code “RISE” and you will get 45 days on me (double yay!).